Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Spartanburg, SC--December 6-7, 2006

Spartanburg is a town I've skirted along many times on my way to other places.

It was a surprisingly short drive. I think I'm used to going well beyond Spartanburg, and on my way to other places in the Carolinas, it's been just where I start to get tired of driving. I did early check in at a very nice Holiday Inn Express off I-26. I went up to the room and pushed firmly on the door after card keying the lock. It, uh, didn't open--and it felt as if the interior lock was deployed.

SO down to the front desk where they discovered good, old fashioned South Carolina humidity had taken its toll on the door and the door frame, and it was a bit sticky. Still, I'm glad I didn't just go shoving in, that would be obnoxious if the room was actually still occupied.

Following that, I relaxed for a bit and reviewed my information literacy class materials.

I've learned now after some time on the road that dinner alone in a restaurant is rather miserable, so I've started taking advantage of mid-grade take out. I drove around and discovered a Mcallister's and ordered out. I didn't buy a drink there, so I stopped into a nearby drug store to get a soda and some milk. Big mistake.

I was tempted by chips, Pringles. I was footing the bill for this side trip myself and was planning to pay cash. For some reason, a bottled coke, a small skim milk, and a can of pringles ran up to 5.43, and I was planning on using a fiver. I got my receipt after using my check card and saw that the pringles rang up for 2.29, NOT the already outrageous 1.79 labeled on the shelf.

I pleaded my case, they did not listen to reason, and I told them they could have their pringles back. They refunded me cash for the pringles and I got on with my evening, returning to the hotel to enjoy free HBO and a lovely club sandwich.

I got a great night's sleep and then drove into downtown Spartanburg. It's quite lovely. Unlike the interestate strip mall culture I associate with this I-85 stopover, the downtown area was quite small and charming, punctuated by a couple of medium sized office buildings that formed a small skyline. Spartanburg is filled with quaint shops and restaurants, and the public library there is new, centrally located, and surrounded by nice architectural features, including a fountain, and an extended wall that is intended to mimic the mills that preceeded it in Spartanburg two generations ago.

The class went well, and by lunch, I'd made friends. We went to a local coffee shop that offered nice sandwiches and unique sides for lunch--I had a mocha with a chicken salad wrap and a side of white bean dip and pita chips. Delightful.

I left Spartanburg about 4:30, my breaks and spare time had been consumed by a problem with my savings bank that i finally got resolved shortly after the class. Stupid holiday EFT tragedy. Oh well.

Overall, Spartanburg--a good short trip, lovely people, nice, small town atmosphere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home