Monday, November 20, 2006

Raleigh, NC , October 23-27, 2006

I had a great visit to the Cameron Village Public Library in Raleigh to work for three days.

Everything was grand and I enjoyed myself there.

Restaurant worth mentioning--Baja Burrito...worth enduring the heavy traffic and the crazy turn to get there. Thanks for the suggestions Dawnie. All the Raleigh people agree that's top notch burritoage.

The Raleigh area has a twilight zone. I only discovered it on my way out of town.

I thought to myself as I was leaving Raleigh proper that I'd just turn away from the direction of the aiprort and top off the gas tank in the rental car at the first gas station I came to in the little mini burbs out that direction.

I drove more miles, probably 15 or so, in search of a gas station than I drove the whole time I was in Raleigh prior to that. It was creepy. Pasture, Pasture, Pasture, Subdivision. Bigger subdivision..millon dollar house...pasture...pasture...pasture..construction...a corner where there looks like there should be a gas station, but alas, no.....

So note to self, there's this strange area South of the airport alll the way to the community of Carpenter...No, Zero, none nada, no gas to be had. I drove all the way back to Raleigh proper to get 4 dollars worth of gas.

And its just...weird. I started cursing all the area residents who must be "hybrid drivin' , phd carryin' work at home, lousy environmentalist beatnik types."

Not that I usually have a problem with that, but let me find a gas station and make my plane on time first.

Twilight Zone I tell you. However, I enjoyed flying over and driving past Lake Crabtree near the airport. Pretty in the fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home