Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Starkville, MS

I drove to Starkville, MS via Alabama. It's a pretty drive, but after Birmingham, there's just really not much to stimulate the weary traveler.


I think I'm officially bored of Mississippi.

Starkville is home to Mississippi State University and ...well not much else. It's a really lovely land grant school and has all that comes with that--lots of research, open fields of engineered grass, lots of ongoing building and restoration. It reminded me a bit of my own fair Alma Mater, UGA, but not nearly as enormous.

The room I worked in was a brand spanking new space, the Templeton Room--part of MSU's special collections.

So, that's pretty much it, rather a dull, uneventful trip this time.

S i g h.

1 Comments:

Blogger Button Gwinnett said...

I drove to Starkville from south GA back in 1996 to see UGA play MSU. It wasn't the greatest of drives. But I wandered through some backroad areas that was kind of nice.

This drive also happens to be the last time I got a speeding ticket. It was on Hwy 82 (I think) just past Tuscaloosa. It's a hilly stretch with several speed limit changes from 60 mph to 45 mph.

Well, as I was bottoming a hill, of course a state patrolman was topping the oncoming hill. So he pulls me over and sees my UGA stuff and announces that he's an "Auburn man." Seemed like a nice fellow as we conversed college football.

He's writing on his pad. And I'm hoping that it's just a warning as my last previous ticket had been in 1990. But he tells me that he clocked me at 54 in a 45 coming down the hill, hands me my ticket, and tells me to be careful. No breaks for me.

Then he twists the knife, and says, "I hope your team loses."

Smart butt.......

But I do have to admit that I thought of him later that year as I sat in Jordan Haire stadium in Auburn, AL watching UGA come back from a 21 point deficit to beat the Tigers in 4 OT's.

I had paid my fine for speeding by then. I guess he was paying karma's fine that night.

;-)

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home